It is important to keep in mind that dogs will sometimes lick things off the floor or use their tongues to clean themselves, which increases the risk of ingesting a potentially harmful substance that comes in contact with their fur or their paws. When it comes to a household product, tell yourself that if you wouldn’t put it in your mouth, then make sure it isn’t being used on a surface that your dog could potentially lick.
It should also be noted that even when cleaning supplies are stored and closed, the vapors left behind can continue to harm us and our pets. Since an animal’s respiratory rate is faster than that of a human, it can suffer from more toxic exposure.
List of toxic substances for pets
Most of us have homes with different types of cleaning products that contain toxic chemicals. The following chemicals, commonly found in household cleaning products, are harmful to pets, and particularly dangerous if ingested:
- Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing)
- Benzalkonium chloride (BAC): toxic to cats
- Perchloroethylene (PERC)
- Sodium hydroxide
- List of toxic household products for pets
- Toilet cleaners
- Oven cleaners
- Laundry detergents for laundry
- Pipe cleaners
- Floor cleaners
Is bleaching safe if you have pets?
Is bleaching safe if you have pets?
As we have already mentioned, products such as bleach can cause permanent or fatal damage to the skin or organs of pets if swallowed. If you use bleach, make sure your dog never comes in contact with it in its concentrated form (the same goes for any cleaning product that needs to be diluted).
You should also be sure to use a properly diluted bleach solution if you are cleaning an object your pet comes in contact with, then rinse the area thoroughly and ventilate the room. If the bleach smell is too strong, open the windows and use fans to ventilate the room.
If you’d rather not take that risk, luckily there are safer alternatives that we’ll cover.
Which household products are non-toxic for dogs?
Do not worry! It is quite simple to keep your home clean without using harsh chemicals. Many home-made, eco-friendly, non-toxic, and pet-safe cleaning products are very effective. Also, they are not only safe for animals but also for the environment.
Look for household products that are labeled “non-toxic,” “herbal,” and “natural,” and make sure you read the composition of the product carefully. Enzymatic cleaners are also non-toxic and biodegradable, and they can tackle tough stains like urine, vomit, feces, blood, grass, and dirt.
Of course, most natural cleaning products, even the safest ones, carry some level of risk if ingested by your pets. It’s important to keep them out of reach of your dog or cat. That said, you are much less likely to cause serious harm to your pet’s health if you use non-toxic products.
Some non-toxic household product brands include Attitude, which offers natural, organic, non-toxic, plant-based, and hypoallergenic household cleaning products that are safe for the whole family, including our furry friends.
There are also many natural cleaning products that you can use to degrease and clean off grease and dirt, which won’t harm your pets or be as bad for the environment:
- baking soda
- the vinegar
- lemon juice
How do I disinfect my dogs toys?
Laundry detergent residue left on clothes, blankets, and lint can be harmful to your pet, especially those who chew on their bedding and toys. There are many natural, non-toxic laundry detergents available.
Coating the fabric softener sheets that are not safe for animals can cause kidney failure and pulmonary edema when an animal bites the sheet. So be sure to use a product suitable for animals and throw them away immediately as they may present a choking hazard.
DIY Homemade Cleaners that are Safe for Pets
toxic household product dog
Dogs and cats, especially younger ones, are curious by nature and will want to examine everything, including things that could be dangerous. It is your responsibility, as the responsible pet owner, to ensure that every room in your home provides a safe environment for your pet.
Here are some guidelines to follow when cleaning your home:
Keep your dog out of harm’s way
If you are cleaning floors or other surfaces used by animals:
do not let them enter the room. If you are using chemicals, then rinse the area with clean water.
Do not let them come back into the room until everything is dry.
When cleaning your kitchen and bathroom, make sure the room is well ventilated.
Always read the labels
Check the labels to find out what a product is made of. If you have products in your home that say they are corrosive or harmful if ingested, keep them out of your dog’s reach.
Follow directions: Disinfectant cleaning products (especially floor cleaner, bleach, etc.) are often designed to be diluted before use.
In their concentrated form, any type of strong disinfectant can be harmful if your dog comes in direct contact with it.
Carefully store your household products and cleaning items
Some dogs or cats naturally explore or chew on boxes and containers. It is therefore very important to keep household products in closed cupboards or on high shelves to which your dog does not have access.
Consider installing child safety latches on cabinets, as some animals are not only curious but also very intelligent.
After cleaning, discard unused or dirty solutions, and clean and store cleaning tools such as mops.
Store empty cleaning containers quickly and correctly. Keep the bins well covered so that pets cannot enter them.
Kitchen and bathroom
Kitchens and bathrooms can pose some of the most serious threats to pets. As we have mentioned, floor cleaners are one of the main culprits in accidental poisoning. Some eco-friendly floor cleaners work on wood, stone, laminate, tile, and all other types of hard floors.
If you have a pet that drinks from the toilet bowl, do not use continuous cleaning agents and keep the lid closed at all times.
Carpets and furniture trap residue that could be harmful to your dog. Using an organic carpet and a furniture cleaner is a great option for pets.
Clean the garage floor to make sure chemicals (such as antifreeze which can be fatal if swallowed) are gone.
What to do if your dog comes into contact with a toxic product?
If you think your dog may have been exposed to toxic cleaning chemicals, watch closely for changes in behavior and observe the following symptoms:
- Irritated or ulcerative skin, including inside the mouth
- Difficulty eating
- Excessive salivation or foaming in the mouth
- The tampering of the mouth
- Rashes or burns
- Lethargy or discomfort
- If you think your dog has come in contact with dangerous cleaning products,take the following steps:
What can I give my dog if I think he has been poisoned?
- First of all, stay calm.
- Keep your dog away from the source of any poisonous substance and do not try to induce him to vomit.
- Determine which substance is responsible. Read the product label for a list of ingredients and any instructions for accidental ingestion.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately and let them know when, where, and how the poisoning occurred – follow their advice!
- Pick up the poison and take the container (or a sample if you don’t have the packaging) if you are advised to take your pet to the vet.
- Never try to treat your dog or cat yourself and don’t wait to see what happens. Call your vet and ask for advice. Ensuring that your animals receive urgent veterinary treatment if they are suspected of having come in contact with household products can save their lives.
Choose home-made, natural, or non-toxic household products whenever possible. Always read product labels and follow animal contact warnings, and keep them away from pets.